Saturday, January 30, 2010

What Kind of a Bloodsucker is this... NOSFERATU -79



I don't know; I just can't make head or tail of this... Werner Herzog's Nosferatu -- Phantom der Nacht (1979) is a film that leaves me baffled: Why? It's nothing more than a remake of the old Murnau silent Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922), the ultimate vampire classic. A copcat with a twist, I'd say, nothing more. So, why bother? Well, on the other hand, it's a very beautifully filmed enterpretation that apparently has a unique, willful focus on scenery and highly expressive passages -- from the urban waterways to the windy beaches and barren mountains; from bats in slow-motion to the macabre opening sequence with the skulls and mumified corpses. Then we have the famed, unyielding Klaus Kinski portraying the count Dracula in a quite unforgettable and impressive way (I simply adore your coiffure too, kind sir...).


I believe there's both an English and German version of Herzog's adaptation, but I don't know if there's any crucial differences in the shape or form of the film. The version I now own is a copy with a terrible German dub that is quite beyond annoying... So, what can I tell you: If you want to see something different from the old German silent, don't see it; but if you want to see a speaking Max Schreck and simply want to enjoy a highly stylized and beautiful movie, you might as well have a go at this one... but think twice before you make up your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment