Friday, April 9, 2010

That Crazy Dude From Pennsylvania Is At It Again! Can't Somebody Just Stop Him!




It's a bit strange, when you sometimes consider it, how you always seem to look upon certain directors in a particular way. Dario Argento wasn't by far the first cult director I ventured in the horror/suspens department, but within a few years he'd become recognized force; and later still I consdered him, and still do, the best director I've come across. Never mind Fulci, never mind Carpenter, Cronenberg or Gordon ... Never mind ... George A. Romero!

Yes, Romero... The guy with the Dead-trilogy: It took time for me to appreciate Night of the Living Dead (I still have some qualms about it) and you really have to put you're mind into Dawn of the Dead and all it's three incarnations. Day of the Dead was actually the first film of his that I really could enjoy from the start, while still fast forwarding most of the heavy dialogue... Then, they grow on you -- these films -- and someday you find yourself wanting to watch them again, and actually doing it too. Then you discover that "Oh, he's done other films, yes! No, I didn't realize Monkey Shines was his baby, no." ... And: "Wom, Martin! Could this be his best movie, lost in the shadow of the zombies of Pittsburg ... And The Crazies, gotta see that film again, one day..."

But do I now consider him a personal Top Five cult director now? No, of course not... However, someday soon this strange notion must be reconsidered drastically. A few years ago, George A. Romero -- RIP... but then came a film: Land of the Dead it was called, and I went to see it at the local theatre mainly because of Asia Argento (when I thought I liked her...). Oh, the film was good, not perfect, a bit forgettable perhaps (in my opinion...). So, I still try and see the new Dario Argento half breeds and what comes along: Diary of the Dead. Now, either you seem to really like these movies or you just hate them; personally, I'm not too fond of hand held camera, but together with Balagueró's [REC] films I'm deeply changing my mind about this... Diary was a real surprise for me -- I enjoyed it very much and it was very well made in lots of ways. This can't go on, I thought, and tried on Survival of the Dead. He must be in deep water with this one... But, oh no! I mean, YES! This is not as Diary of the Dead, but perhaps it's even better, better in that typical George Romero way -- and do I really have to say in what... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment